Many of history’s expeditions in the US passed through the El Paso Mission Trail; the most famous of those expeditions was led by Juan de Oñate.
In 1789, the Spanish established a presidio, military garrison, named “San Elceario” after the French patron saint of the military, San Elcear.
In 1850 after San Elizario became the First County Seat, the need for a jail turned this previous residence (1821-1848) into the first official San Elizario Jail.
As the most historical building in the area, Los Portales was built in the early 1850’s.
Built as a traditional Mexican Hacienda in the 1800's, this structure originally had 12 rooms built around a beautiful courtyard.